Hi, How Can We Help You?


May 26, 2022

Work Visas in Australia: Can I work legally on a tourist visa?

The Tourist or Visitor Visa in Australia has specific conditions for those who hold it. This blog post will talk about those requirements and which sort of visas that allow you to work in Australia.

The visa subclass 600 allows you to be in Australia as a tourist, for a cruise, or for medical treatment, for up to 12 months. Yet, working is not permitted. 

Actually, in order to apply for a Tourist Visa, you must have a round-trip plane ticket, as well as a  defined trip journey. Additionally, for each trimester you will spend on your trip, you should have $6.000 AUD which should be reflected in your bank statement.

However, if you are thinking about staying in Australia while working or studying, there are other visa types you can apply for.


Which visas allow me to work in Australia?

Student Visa (subclass 500) By holding this visa, you are able to stay in Australia for up to 5 years and in line with your enrolment. 

Key to know: You can apply online in or outside the country

Also, you can:

  • be enrolled in a course of study in Australia
  • work unlimited hours in any sector (before it was only 40 hours per fortnight)
  • Bring your family members

Read more about international students’ work limitations in Australia



Working Holiday visa (417) and Work and Holiday visa (462)

First of all, it is key to clarify that subclass 417 is mostly for European countries, such as Belgium, France, Germany and others. Whereas, subclass 462 applies to others like Argentina, Uruguay and Chile.

These 2 visa types let people 18 to 30 years old (with some exceptions) have an extended holiday in Australia and work here to help fund their trip.

Read more: Working Holiday Visa: Age limit increased to 35 years

Regarding the requirements to apply, we can highlight a University Degree certificate and  IELTS  certificate for subclass 462, and High School Degree for subclass 417.

  • ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​You must have a passport from an eligible country
  • You can work while you are here
  • You can apply for a second Work and Holiday visa if you meet specific eligibility criteria

*If you want to know more, send us an email at infopoint@atlasmigration.com*


Australian Government endorsed events (COVID-19 Pandemic event)- subclass 408

With this visa you can:

  • Remain in Australia for 12 months if you are working or have a job offer to work in critical sectors (click here to know which sectors are considered)
  • Remain in Australia for 6 months if you are working or have a job offer to work in any other sector in Australia
  • Include members of the family unit in your application.

At the time of application you must:

  • have evidence of your employment or an offer of employment
  • hold a substantive visa with work rights that expires in 90 days or less, or that expired 28 days ago or less.

Click here to read more about COVID-19 Visa.




Are you still confused about if you’re eligible to apply for any of those visas? Book a FREE consultation with our team!

For English or Italian, click here.

For Spanish, click here. 

Drop us a line and we will get back to you soon infopoint@atlasmigration.com


Instagram @atlasmigrationexperts

Facebook  Atlas Migration 




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This field is required.

You may use these <abbr title="HyperText Markup Language">html</abbr> tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

*This field is required.