Hi, How Can We Help You?
February 15, 2023

RSA certificate in Australia: everything you need to know

If you want to work in hospitality in Australia in a position that requires the administration of alcohol you must obtain an RSA – responsible service of alcohol – certificate. It is possible to obtain the online certificate for each Australian state though a cheap course that you can take whenever you want.

You may be interested in: moving to Australia with a Working Holiday Visa

Who needs an RSA for Australia?

Whether you decide to work as a waiter, runner, manager or employee of a bottle shop, if the business in which you are employed serves alcohol then you are required to have RSA.

If you want to work in hospitality in Australia, find the complete guide in the article below.

How to get RSA certificate?

You can get your RSA online or by taking a short course.

Below are all the useful links to request it.

WA: Department of Racing, Gaming and Liquor WA (P/P) – Home (page not found)

NT: Department of the Attorney-General and Justice (page not found)

NSW: OLGR > NSW Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing > (page not found)


VIC: Welcome to the VCGLR website – VCGLR

SA: Office of the Liquor and Gambling Commissioner (page not found)

ACT: Liquor | Office of Regulatory Services (page not found)

CAS: Liquor and Gaming – Home (page not found)

How much does RSA cost?

Although many online portals will try to make you believe that the RSA costs hundreds of dollars this certificate costs just $30 (https://www.eot.edu.au/online-courses/RSA).

Is the RSA valid throughout the country?

Each state has different alcohol regulations.

However, it is possible to take the RSA course that is valid in all states, it costs $64 and is the best solution if you want to travel around the country working in different locations.

On the contrary, making one for each individual state could be expensive both in terms of money and time.

Can I get the RSA if I’m on a Student Visa?

Yes, contrary to what happened a few years ago, now it is possible to request the RSA certificate also when you are on a Student Visa.

Did you know that it is now possible to renew your Working Holiday Visa by working in hospitality? One more reason to apply for your RSA as soon as you arrive in Australia!


For any other questions related to working in hospitality in Australia, do not hesitate to contact us at infopoint@atlasmigration.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This field is required.

You may use these <abbr title="HyperText Markup Language">html</abbr> tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

*This field is required.